Pinterest Verification

Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Adventures with Cupping

Well yesterday was another adventure in the world of alternative medicine. From last Thursday to Sunday I had this sharp pain in the back of my shoulders and my sides. Figured it might be referred pain from the acupuncture, so I brought it up to her this week. So she decided to do some dry cupping in addition to my acupuncture treatment. What's dry cupping you ask.....well let me tell you. Now I couldn't see what she was doing because I was face down, I could only feel it. So I went to WebMD and they helped me out with an explanation for it.

There are two forms of cupping: dry cupping (suction only) and wet cupping (combo of suction and controlled bleeding). The first time I went for acupuncture treatment she did wet cupping on my calves to help my circulation. This time she did dry cupping. According to WebMD: During both types of cupping, a flammable substance such as alcohol, herbs, or paper is placed in a cup and set on fire. As the fire goes out, the cup is placed upside down on the patient's skin. As the air inside the cup cools, it creates a vacuum. This causes the skin to rise and redden as blood vessels expand. The cup is generally left in place for five to 10 minutes.

So this is what the cups she used on me looked like:
courtesy of http://www.acuwang.com/image/cupping.jpg
Before she started she asked if I was going out this weekend.

Then she explained that cupping leaves bruises on the body. So if I was going out somewhere that required say a backless dress, then she wasn't going to do it. Which is understandable considering how you look afterwards. 

So here's pictures of cupping bruises other people have had:
courtesy of http://www.cuppingtherapy.org/images/swimmer.jpg; http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40364000/jpg/_40364255_paltro203ok.jpg and http://jonathanlarsen.com/log/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dscn3427.jpg

And here's pictures of my cupping bruises. My chocolate skin makes it a little difficult to see my bruises. Plus there wasn't great lighting in the bathroom where I took these pictures (shootout to Cosi my favorite coffee place!). But if you look close you can see indents on my lower back from where she cupped me. 
See that swirly looking thing that's where one of the cups was

Honky tonk badakadonk


She put 11 of those things on me and I have to say it was weird. I guess it's similar to what it would feel like if I got down and dirty with an octopus. It didn't hurt there was just pressure from where the cups were sucking on me. So 15-20 mins later I'm done with cupping and she puts 19 acupuncture needles in me.....like so:
2 inches of acupuncture goodness


I'm starting to think she has a thing with odd numbers, which is funny cause I have a thing with even numbers. It's part of my slight case of OCD. Anywho, I got about 45 mins to an hour of moderate relief after it was all said and done. Of course I would've been a lot more relaxed if it wasn't for the IGNORANT COW who decided the "No Cell Phone Use" sign on the wall in the waiting room didn't apply to her. The room I was in is right in front of the waiting room so I had to hear her babbling about nonsense until my acupuncturist said something to her. You're not special honey, no cell phones mean no cell phones! What part of "Quiet Please" don't you understand?! Well classes have started back up again today and I'm looking forward to this semester. 11 projects (what is that my lucky number for today or what??) and some cool professors. One professor loves southern rock, country and basically every genre of music I love and likes to play music before class start. My other one sounds like he's going to be a lot of fun too. Senior year LET'S GET IT ON!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of it, but it seems so strange! Hickey alert! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha a back full of hickeys. Looked like I got mauled by an octopus.

      Delete

You don't need to be a blogger to show me some love....