Pinterest Verification

Thursday, November 22, 2012

What I'm Thankful For

As I prepare to scarf down on a Thanksgiving feast of turkey, stuffing and all the trimmings I'm reminded that now is the time when people usually talk about what they're thankful for. It's one of those holiday traditions that's supposed to make us stop and think about how lucky we are. Because no matter how bad your day is there is always someone out there who has had a worst day. So with that in mind I'd like to reveal what I'm grateful for:

My Mom a.k.a. Marmie

Yes it's said the way it's spelled, unlike my full first name (grrrr). That's what I called her when I couldn't fully say mommy. My mom is without a doubt my hero because even as she was dying her one thought was about taking care of her baby girl. That right there is unconditional love. Constantly willing to protect your baby, even though she's a grown adult, and putting yourself second to that. One of the many lessons she taught me was this "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." No matter what life tries to knock me down with, there's so much fight in me that I refuse to stay down.

The Military
I've mentioned before how both my grandfather and boyfriend were in the Navy. I also have friends who were in the Army and Marines, so I'm surrounded by soldiers. I have and will always have a deep, deep respect for anyone that laces up their boots to protect this country. It takes a lot of unselfish self-sacrifice to be able to say you will do what's necessary to make sure the enemy doesn't cross the line.

Thanksgiving Preparations
It's always been interesting to me to watch what all goes into getting Thanksgiving dinner ready. When I was little I would hang around waiting to taste test stuff. Now it's all about the inappropriate humor in the whole process. There is nothing as funny as watching someone go elbow deep into a turkey. Thankfully my coffee cup was empty or else it would've ended up being spilled all over the floor. But my sides were hurting, and the innuendos were flying as my best friend manhandled the turkey.  I'm pretty sure if he could he'd be filing assault charges on her.

Footie PJs
I hate putting my feet on a cold floor unless it's summertime. It's also irritating when you wake up in the middle of the night to pee and you can't find socks or slippers. So I am very thankful for footed pajama bottoms that I can slip on and use to keep my feet warm while I shuffle to the potty.

Time off from school
If I wasn't already done with finals, I got two A's by the way, I would be looking forward to this little bit of downtime even more. Don't get me wrong there are times I love being busy. But sometimes a girl needs a break and a chance to get her head to stop swimming.

Sweatpants
Holiday dinners are one of those occasions where I just don't see the need to get dressed up. I'm hanging around with my family (my best friends who are basically family to me) so there's no need to get all dolled up. Besides, how am I supposed to get my eat on when my pants are too tight. Sweatpants it is! Need room for pie! Speaking of my family....

My Family
The people I call my family aren't related to me by blood. They're my best friends. My boyfriend, sister, brother, niece. They're the people who've always been there when I needed a shoulder, guidance, support, encouragement. They're the ones who understand me and love me flaws and all. They're my real family and I'm very thankful for them.

Skip Bayless and Steven A. Smith from ESPN First Take
I'm not a big fan of parades anymore, don't know why so don't ask. So it's nice to have something on in the background that interests me and makes me chuckle at the same time. Yes I am that girl that has fantasy football apps, ESPN apps and sports pages bookmarked. I'd rather watch ESPN than morning talk shows.

My Readers
Last but not least I'm thankful for those of you who take the time to read what I've written. It makes me feel good to know that my words aren't falling on deaf ears. Maybe I inspire debate, maybe I make you chuckle when you've had a bad day. Whatever I do for you I'm glad. And I'm THANKFUL you keep coming back.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you, the hubs and Titan had a wonderful thanksgiving. Time for cold turkey sandwiches!

      Delete
  2. These are all very good things to be thankful for, especially footie pj's. Happy Belated Turkey Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated turkey day to you Janna! I get into this snuggly mode when it gets cold out and have to have fluffy blankets and my comfy pjs handy to keep me warm.

      Delete

You don't need to be a blogger to show me some love....