Pinterest Verification

Monday, October 22, 2012

Midterms Take 2

Okay so I'm almost done with midterms. I just have to finish touching up one of my papers. Soon as I'm done with that one I just have a quick one to do and then WOOHOO finished with midterms! Only 3 more projects left to do for this semester and then I'm free for a couple weeks before it's back to the grind again. Oh crap, wait that's not true....I signed up for these free courses through Coursera.org so no I don't get a break. Dang!! I was looking forward to a week of laziness and getting friendly with the stuff I've had saved on the DVR for the past 3 weeks. See I've tried having things on in the background and working during commercial breaks. That didn't work well at all. It is extremely difficult to focus when it's Sunday or Wednesday night. The back-to-back onslaught of Once Upon A Time, Revenge, Boardwalk Empire and the Walking Dead. Or face the one-two punch of Law & Order SVU and Chicago Fire. If any of ya'll are fans of these shows then you know how hard it is to focus on anything else. There's just no way I'm getting anything done between nekkid people rolling around and plotting gangster things, fairytale characters coming to life in a totally different way, Ice-T chasing down a perp or shirtless firefighters.

Which is why I usually end up trying to get as much done before 8pm as I can. From 8pm til about 11:02pm there's no productivity happening from me. That's probably why I felt a twinge of guilt when I got a surprise call from my research professor today. I'm one of those people who doesn't answer the phone if all I see is a phone number. For the people I talk to the most they have personalized ringtones. Now my default ringer is the theme from Hawaii Five-0, love me some Hawaii Five-0. I hear that theme song and I give a quick glance to the phone before I decide whether to pick it up or not. If it's an out of state area code, that call is going to voice mail. If I just woke up, unless there's a name attached and not just a number, that call is going to voice mail. You can see where I'm going with this. Every once in a while I get curious and answer it, 9 times out of 10 I regret that decision.

So I'm sitting there with my laptop on my lap, left hand wrapped around my coffee mug, in half-procrastination mode while I'm watching the latest episode of Revenge off the DVR. And my phone rings. Hawaii Five-0 theme.....and an area code I've never seen before but am assuming is a US area code.

Me: "Hello?"
Random Stranger: "Hi is Dee home?"
Me: (oh joy a bill collector) "Yes...this is she."
No Longer Random Stranger: "Hi Dee it's Professor L."
Me: (relieved) "OH hi how are you"

That's how my ten minute phone call with my one professor started Monday afternoon. She wasn't calling because I was in trouble or anything (right now I have a 4.0 in that class woo). She just wanted to touch bases and see if I had questions or concerns. Which was nice. At first I was a bit weirded out til she explained why she was calling. And of course that phone call gave me a twinge of guilt because I should've been working on my project but I was distracted. So off with the TV and now  that my Monday night class is over I'm going to get some work done. The sooner I get these two papers finished the better. One is halfway done like I said it just needs touch ups. Soon as I'm done I'll be nice and treat myself to a marathon of Boardwalk Empire, Hawaii Five-0 and Law & Order SVU: The Post-Stabler episodes (I miss Stabler, but I swear if I lose anyone else from the original cast I'm done).

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need to be a blogger to show me some love....