Pinterest Verification

Thursday, August 2, 2012

One day you'll realize I'm right

When you're little you might say or do something that causes your mom or dad to utter one little phrase that will stick in your head for the rest of your life. "One day you'll realize I'm right." That's it. Short, simple but effective.

Me (as a kid): But why do I have to go to school?


Mom: Because you'll need a good education if you want to have a great career.


Me: But I just wanna be a drummer!


Mom: That's what you want right now but that'll change when you get older.


Me: Nuh uh I'm gonna grow up and be the best drummer in the world!


Mom (sigh): One day you'll realize I'm right.


Me (age 17): But I love him!


Mom: He's not good enough for you and it's not going to last. Trust me this relationship is going nowhere.


Me: You never know! Things will get better with us and then we'll get married and have a family!


Mom: He's not good enough for you. He's never going to make you happy. I don't like him. Trust me this is going nowhere.


Me: How do you know?!


Mom: Trust me I know!


Me: You'll see! He'll change!


Mom (sigh): He's never going to change. You can't make someone change unless they want to change. One day you'll realize I'm right


From the time I was 3 years old up until I was 10 or 11 I wanted to be a drummer. Think it had something to do with Animal from The Muppet Show being my favorite character. At some point I decided I wanted to be a veterinarian, marine biologist, cop, firefighter, equestrian show jumper, archer, writer and then a restaurant owner. What can I say, I've never been big on sitting in an office.

That guy I was with my senior year of high school. Yeah that didn't last. Things didn't get better they just kept getting worse. He never changed, but I realized I had to get away from him.

There's been so many times I've heard my mom's voice in the back of my head saying "You finally realized I was right"

2 comments:

  1. Michael A. SinclairAugust 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

    Growing up I listened to my mom and dad telling me things. Things I did not want to hear or accept. I came to realize years later that they had to say these things knowing full well I would not listen. However there was one point that became obvious years later and that was the fact I can not say you never told me as they actually did tell me. I found as the years went even further myself telling my step kids the same types of things my folks use to tell me. I knew they would not listen and yet I knew they could never say you never told me cause I in fact had told them. I think it's part of the game of life and the learning process that we all under go growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing any parent can do is share their wisdom with their children and try to prepare them for the world. You're right, your step-children can't come back to you and say "you never told me" because you have. I think the other part of it is that children refuse to believe their parents are right. It's funnier when you have two or three adults all telling the child something, they still refuse to believe it sometimes until they experience it themselves. If our parents didn't warn us along the way, we'd navigate life blindly and be worse off for it.

    ReplyDelete

You don't need to be a blogger to show me some love....