Pinterest Verification

Friday, August 3, 2012

Beauty

This one's for the Ladies......


While I was getting ready this morning I couldn't help but stop and think about all the time we spend "getting ready." You get up, shower (or in my case take a bath because I don't feel like standing up most of the time), and then go through the process of getting yourself together to face the world. Women spend 80-90% of their time worrying about how they look. Why is it such a big deal? Well from the time we're little girls until the day we die, we get all these images thrown in our face and ideas shoved down our throat about what beauty is. Magazines telling us who the Most Beautiful People in the World are. TV shows with sculpted, thin women with porcelain skin and flawless hair and makeup. Commercials telling us what makeup to buy and hair products to use so we can be beautiful.

Aren't we already beautiful? My mommy told me when I was a little girl that I was beautiful. That was before skin creams, makeup, nail polish and high heels became a part of routine. When do we stop believing that we're beautiful without all of that stuff? Is it our teens? Adulthood? At some point we stop relying on our natural beauty and start using things to make us beautiful. Some of us use these things to enhance our looks, other women use these things because they think they're not beautiful without them. We get so stressed out and anxious over getting ourselves together for a special occasion because we need to look perfect.

I thought about all of this while I was rubbing Mederma on myself to get rid of scars I have from picking at bug bites (one of my bad habits that Mark gets on me about).  I started thinking about why I'm taking the time to rub that stuff on my body. Is it because I don't want people to see the scars? Or is it because I don't want them on me? When I first started using the stuff it was out of embarrassment from being so marked up. The more I used it the better I felt because I didn't want these marks on my body anymore. So now it's not because I don't want people staring at them, it's because I don't want them on me. I'm not getting rid of all my scars though. I'm keeping the one on my right leg that I got when I slipped and scrapped my shin against the metal piece holding the linoleum floor in my mom's room in place. I'm keeping the ones on my left knee from my knee surgery in 2009. And I'm keeping the one on the inside of my left forearm from the time I wanted to slit my wrist and changed my mind at the last minute. My scars tell a story that I don't want to erase.

I accept that I'm not perfect and I never will be. I don't want to be perfect because perfect equals boring. I'm comfortable with the fact that my right leg is 1/4 inch shorter than my left leg. I'm comfortable with the fact that my hair will NEVER be perfect. I'm comfortable living in the body I have and showing off my natural beauty. There are so many different types of beauty in this world. Spend less time believing what the magazines consider beauty and find comfort in the person you are. Love your natural beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need to be a blogger to show me some love....